Friday, January 19, 2007

Blueberry Blunder


I was going to share with you a killer blueberry pie recipe today. Since it's been a while since my last installment, I thought I would wow you with a great homemade dessert. But it didn't work. I made the pie last night, and it was a total flop. We're eating it anyway. I didn't put all that work into it to feed my garbage disposal a large amount of purple mush.

As taste goes, it's not that bad. It's mostly edible - not in a traditional pie sort of a way. More in a "chilled blueberry soup with dumplings" sort of way. The dumpling effect is thanks to my half-baked pie crust that would have been good, had I read the recipe correctly and CHILLED the dough for three hours, rather than freezing it, as I unfortunately did.

Alas, this is why I do not bake, why my husband spends most of his days cookie-less and cake-less. It's why when guests come for dinner(usually a somewhat elaborate attempt on my part), it ends with fancy little cakes from the nearby European bakery. And it is why, after almost 10 years of marriage, I have used my pie pan twice.

I am, however, bound and determined to eat this entire pie, if only by myself, because the idea of it was so delicious - wild organic blueberries, homemade pie crust with a hint of lemon, and a wonderful latticework top. A far cry from what I tearfully removed from the oven. Hence, on this blog, I'll be sticking to exotic soups, kicky curries, and the occasional hors d'oeuvre.

1 comment:

Jane O' said...

I can help! E-mail me for a no- roll-out pie crust. Just press it in the pan and go from there. I also have a never-fail pie crust recipe I have been using for years, although it did fail once:)