Friday, November 03, 2006

Not-So-Basic Vegetable Soup

Here's a great way to make a vegetable soup that is anything but boring! Try and use all the organic and fresh vegetables you can. It'll really make a difference!

2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 - 4 Tbs. olive oil
10 cups water
1 large handful fresh chopped dill
1 large handful fresh chopped parsley
juice from 1/2 lemon
sea salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 peeled and chopped tomatoes, optional

Throw all the vegetables (but the tomato, if you're using it) into the pot with the water, oil, salt, and pepper. Boil until potatoes and carrots are soft. If adding tomatoes, do it here. (Putting the tomato in with raw potato and carrots can keep these vegetables from getting soft when cooked.) Cook for another couple minutes. Remove from heat, add dill, parsley, and lemon juice. Serve with a dollop of plain mediterranean-style yogurt in each bowl.

Remember, the secret to good soup is to taste it towards the end and adjust seasoning until it's just right. If it seems a little too flat, try a little more lemon juice or sea salt.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I love your blogs, especially the holistic living, healthy cooking slant! I'd love to share recipes sometime, as I am struggling to also feed myself and family in a completely countercultural way! I commend you on your working from home and writing, and thanks for visiting my blog! Back to health foods, this recipe looks great! I recently didn't have much time so I heated up a carton of Pacific Natural Foods Carrot Soup base (these soup bases are awesome and often go on sale at Wild Oats), and while heating it threw in some frozen organic mixed veggies and frozen Endame! With a dash of ginger, curry, and cloves, it was delish in just over ten minutes! The bonus- my 15 month old sucked it down!

Michelle Constantinescu said...

Thank, Vivian! I'd love to share recipes. I'm always digging around trying to find ways to avoid boxes and cans, so it would be great to hear your recipe ideas as well. I'm hoping as this blog is out there for awhile, more people will share their cooking ideas. I spend an awful lot of time altering recipes from cookbooks to fit our eating lifestyle around here. Thanks for the suggestion for soup! I'll have to give that one a try. I make a big pot of soup every Monday and it usually lasts us through the week for lunches.